Here’s a fact for you – Renewables have surpassed coal in 2015 to become the largest source of installed power capacity in world. The International Energy Agency said this in it’s Medium-Term Renewable Market Report last year.
Since the age of industrialization, coal has always been a primary source of power. Until obviously we started seeing its repercussions on environment. In a time when world is tackling this giant of a problem (Global warming), this surely is a step in the right direction.
Brief about IEA’s Medium-Term Renewable Market Report:
- First and foremost, as many as 500,000 solar panels were installed every day in 2015.
- Second very key point in the report is that in China, two wind turbines were installed every hour in 2015.
- Moreover, the IEA’s Executive Director Fatih Birol said “We are witnessing a transformation of global power markets led by renewables”.
- Report also added, going down cost of solar PV and onshore wind power might have caused this growth.
- In the end, it mentioned some power statistics. Renewable power source capacity in 2015 saw an increase of 156 GW. 65 GW from wind, 49 GW from solar and 31 GW from hydro – totaling up to 1968 GW. Whereas coal’s power capacity was around 1951 GW.
An important point to note, actual power production from these sources is still less as compared to coal. This growth is expected to increase further as India, China and America are updating their policies keeping in mind this sector’s significance. India very recently exempted import duties on solar products to encourage county’s solar rooftop growth. Every watt from renewable is an ounce of air left clean to breath. So, however small of an achievement this is, it still is something to feel proud of. We still have a long way to go from a Non-Renewable dependent world to a completely Renewable dependent world one.
You can go solar to become a part of this change and save the Earth:
Do give our blog a read for all your solar related questions and check out other interesting updates on solar on our facebook page (facebook.com/zunroof).