Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has developed an android application for computing the solar energy potential at any given location. They have developed this application at the request of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy. The application was launched on April 24, 2017. This App can prove to be a “very useful” tool for installation of photovoltaic (PV) solar power plant. The solar tracking app is available for download at vedas.sac.gov.in.
Salient features of ISRO Solar App:
- Firstly, it provides monthly and yearly solar potential (in kWh/m2) and minimum/maximum temperature at any given location in the country.
- Secondly, one can easily put in the location coordinates manually or can automatically obtain it using GPS.
- Moreover, the application gets its data from Indian Geostationary Satellites like Kalpana-1, INSAT-3D and INSAT-3DR.
- Application displays location on an image with satellite data in the background.
- It also provides azimuth and elevation angles, and day length over different time periods in a year.
- Digital Elevation Model (DEM) calculates the obstruction of sunlight due to the terrain.
- It suggests optimum tilt angle for solar PV installation.
- Lastly, there is an option in the app to save the complete report in a PDF format.
ISRO has very recently designed a solar hybrid electric car made from completely in-house resources and expertise. In addition to this, ISRO has been working on a number of sustainable solar initiatives in recent times and the latest one is this solar app. This organization has shown its prowess in space technology time and again, and now with new innovations like these, the space organisation is set to take the country to a new high!
Go solar and reduce electricity bill at home:
Do give our blog a read for all your solar related questions and check out other interesting updates on solar on our facebook page (facebook.com/zunroof).
Image Link: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Solar_Resource_Map_of_India.png